Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Missing Halloween


Watch the video before you read the post; that way the post will make a lot more sense and there 
won't be any spoilers.


"Missing Halloween" is a short animation I found on YouTube. It is about a young boy who goes out trick-or-treating with a young girl. As the story progresses, we learn that nobody but the boy can see the girl, and this makes him confused. When he returns home, he is given the diagnosis of an imaginary friend. This seems innocent enough, but at one point the boy follows the girl past a fence labeled "danger", where we see a multitude of animal traps scattered about a forest. The boy, trying to keep up with his 'friend', missteps and the screen goes white. It then cuts to a scene where the boy finds the girl sitting beneath a tree in a clearing, and sits down beside her. When the animation resumes, a police squadron is looking for the boy and they come across him. What's creepy is he is found sitting next to a decaying corpse- the corpse of the girl he 'befriended', who had gone missing.

This animation is both charming and disturbing. When it begins, the audience is drawn into the simplistic, adorable character designs and black-and-white coloration, as well as the warm, inviting feel of the animation style. It feels almost like watching a memory or silent film. Speaking of silent, the entire film, up until the ending, is silent, with only the calming, hypnotic background music filling the silence. The ending, though, has speaking, albeit very little and not entirely comprehensible. It also has sound effects but lacks the soundtrack used earlier. In my opinion, this was done intentionally. As the entire story except the ending is seen through the point of view of an imaginative, energy, and lonely young boy, the beginning is done so we feel like we are watching a memory or a story that perhaps the boy himself came up with. It feels very much nostalgic and hazy, as if it were meant to be up to various interpretations. The ending, on the other hand, plays out as we would see it in real life; with sound effects, speech, and without background music. It is told from the point of view of adults. By portraying the ending in such a manner, they contrast the difference between the two and label the beginning as a fantasy and the ending as the unwanted reality.

My personal interpretation of the animation is that the girl is dead and that the boy is dying. Since nobody can see the girl, she must be a ghost, but the boy can still see and interact with her, so he isn't entirely human (or he has some unseen ability to interact with the dead). Plus, throughout the animation, he has a mobile devil tail, but only in the present Halloween, so his current state is only recent. Devils are usually interpreted as a symbol or beacon of death, so the boy is dying. But because he is still seen by everybody else, and still shows up on film, he is not dead yet. The girl is shown to be dead; her corpse is rotting and only the boy can see her ghost.

I believe that the girl is lonely and wants a friend, so she tries to lead the boy into the traps in hopes he dies- the same way she died. The candy wrappers that are shared between the two always read 'you found me' for the girl, which means that she was waiting a while for a friend, and her corpse shows this as well- it has begun to decompose and has maggots and flies. The boy, who is oblivious to the fact she is dead, is also lonely, so a friend, even if nobody else can see them, is very appreciated. In the end, when he catches up with the girl and sits down beside her beneath the tree, his candy wrapper reads 'I found you' and hers, like always, reads 'you found me'. Even though these actions ultimately killed him, the boy found a friend in the girl and the girl found a friend in the boy.

Overall, this is a very well-done and thought-provoking animated gem, and despite its bittersweet ending, you will fall in love with it.


video used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaoVpVXcZsA

26 comments:

  1. I cried watching this then I came to this website to understand ALL of it. And cried some more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it also made me cry but also make me think, go insane, and talk to myself

      Delete
    2. See my June 14 2021 comment
      I am just 13 if u see like button nearby just click it

      Delete
  2. The boy isn't dead he's still alive at the end, he was just seen sleeping next to the girl on a nearby tree when the mother and dad with the police lady find them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my June 14 2021 comment
      I am just 13 if u see like button nearby just click it

      Delete
  3. I think the boy still lived, because he was just sleeping, he was still "breathing". And otherwise the mother wouldn't be so happy finding his son (because no mother wants to find her dead son)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my June 14 2021 comment
      I am just 13 if u see like button nearby just click it

      Delete
  4. In my opinion I think the boy dies after the video is finished because look at the facts....... the tree the girl was under is surrounded by spikes( very sharp ones) there no way he made it to the middle safe and sound 2. He may have stepped on a bear trap cause they showed the last one snap but didn't show rather he was hit or not so there are many theories but one one can stand so in my opinion I think the boy dies at the end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think so. If you look at the end of the movie when the mother finds her baby, she rushes out because the boy just fainted but not. because if the mother sees the dead boy's body, she will kneel and be stunned in a lifeless way

      Delete
    2. I think so but can you rely me what is the screen that showing boy chasing gitl then step on the bear trap then the screen tern white? Plz Im so confusing now

      Delete
    3. I am so confusing now
      Can anyone tell me
      1. If boy is died why he sleep at the tree with breath
      2. If boy is alive how can he survive from beartrap that he gat trapped while chasing the girl that lead him in to?
      Plz rely me Im so confusing now

      Delete
    4. im very confused too

      Delete
    5. See my June 14 2021 comment
      I am just 13 if u see like button nearby just click it

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my June 14 2021 comment
      I am just 13 if u see like button nearby just click it

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. See my June 14 2021 comment
      I am just 13 if u see like button nearby just click it

      Delete
  7. 1. If boy died why he is breathing under the tree and everyone still see he under the tree?
    2. If boy alive its mean that boy survive from trap? And what is "I found you" and "you found me" if he alive
    Plz anyone Im so confused plz rely me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that the "you foundme"was like, she was missing and now he found her. ikind of interpret it as you know when spirits have an unfulfilled wish they become a ghost till the wish is fulfilled? I think her wish was to be found, and he found her body. And i think he's still alive, the mother saw him and tried to run to him. I think the trap was just for suspense orm maybe it snapped but he didn't die; the other traps are untouched. I think he was lonely, so the i found u thing means he found a friend

      Delete
    2. See my June 14 2021 comment
      I am just 13 if u see like button nearby just click it
      Also nice theory
      Nick was alive and we can see smile on his face cause he is having fun time with his friend

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. See my June 14 2021 comment
      I am just 13 if u see like button nearby just click it

      Delete
  9. I had a theory that the boy has somehow acquired the ability of the Grim Reaper, helping those who have died get to the other side, made me stop thinking about the thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my June 14 2021 comment
      I am just 13 if u see like button nearby just click it

      Delete
  10. The girl promised boy that she will meet him next halloween as we saw 'last year' the girl was maybe alive and because she got no candies the boy who knows her from past(he is behaving like that)gave her one candy which says"u found me".
    In between we saw that everytime the girl's candy says "u found me" that's because she died (Cause of death-The girl went to those forsts for some reason and she got injured through that bear trap which caused blood loss and she died) with that wrapper so she always gets that one.
    After last year the girl's ghost came as she promised (According to my theory the girl didn't want boy to die she just wanted peace for her corpse so she guided Nick to her corpse and maybe she knew that Nick could dodge all the traps)
    Maybe Nick saw the girl's ghost and started playing with her from a very long time (Not more than a year, Of course)so her mother thought that he had a mental diseases and on halloween she got report that her child has imaginary friend disorder.

    ReplyDelete